Thursday, April 30, 2009

Leaf on the Wind

I watched that movie Serenity - in one of the last scenes, the pilot charater is under extreme stress and fire and he keeps saying 'I am a leaf on the wind'. He lands safely and then something else kills him. But I choose to take away the positive - so that's my new mantra - I'm a leaf on the wind.
What a week! I hate going into a new week feeling alright I got this and then, bam - reality hits and hits hard. Why do we ever feel as if we are in control. We're never in control. All we can do is be a leaf in a wind and when faced with challenges become the tree that carries the leaf. So maybe I should correct myself. I am a tree. I bend in the wind but I never move. I am rooted. And I grow. (Hey I never claimed to be a philosopher - only a PhD) :-)
So this swine flu thing - hmmm. I don't know if it is media hype but I feel a little trepidation (read worried). I am a little worried that it attacks ppl in their prime and the immune system has a hyper-response to it - sounds like a pretty smart virus actually. I am a little worried about what I read today - that the true issue is that a more virulent strain can come along in a few months and be a whole lot more dangerous. The government is taking it seriously - probably more seriously than SARS and avian flu. That speaks volumes. Maybe they know something we don't.....either way, I am finally using hand sanitizer (I hate hand sanitizer - dries my hands and as a microbiologist - in the past anyway - I know that alcohol kills a lot of microbes that should be there on your hands and leaves you vulnerable until they take their sweet time to repopulate my hands). Ah well, one way or another, we gonna die but until that time comes, I will take precautions for me and my fellow man.
I thought I had a whole lot to say but apparently not.........so I'm out......maybe Saturday I will have some brain room to think enough for the blog. Until .......
I am a leaf on the wind!!!!!!! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment