Monday, April 27, 2009

Follow-up on Funeral

I was planning on spending this day in quiet reflection and staying away from the blogging thing but someone said something that stick in my craw and have me itching to comment........
But first - the funeral was draining, as funerals of loved ones go.......I made a tribute to Sondra and I am glad I did - so I got to say goodbye......When I woke up this morning it was with tears in my eyes - I thought of Sondra and of course my mother was not far behind. For Sondra, I cannot believe she is gone and I miss her so much. I think since Mom died, I saw Sondra as one of those links - a person who knew what Mom stood for and what she was like and who was like her. I admit our correspondence in the last year was sketchy at best but when I was about to pack up and go home, i sought Sondra out in Brooklyn - it was early November and I was so discouraged because no one wanted to hire an immigrant like me. I was ready to face packing up and going home. Although I did not want to.......I always thought that Sondra was there when I needed her most, it was like that in grad school and now again with this very trying time. She sat me down and reminded me of my professional value, of my personality and how it would be welcome in any business. Most of all she said not to give up, that God had plans for me. Then she testified about He had been watching out for her. And I knew times were hard for her. Then we went to Norstrand in search of pudding and souse - I found cou-cou and she found oxtail. We were both happy. It was a good day. I will keep that day in mind because that day was essential Sondra, tempered by life and full of wisdom. I just pray that I can stand on the shoulders of these giants, my mother and Sondra, and be half the woman either of them became. As the priest said last night, it is not the quantity but the quality of years that we live. As Mommy used to say, no man knows the hour that he will be taken from this earth, all that is up to us is how we live up to that time. Moms and Sondra were true examples of that and I will follow on in the same vein.........

No comments:

Post a Comment